I might as well title this post “Thankfully, off needles” because I didn’t really enjoy my last project at all. Ordinarily I love knitting, but this laptop bag about ruined me.
I got the idea for this bag because two friends of mine are using the Interweave Knits pattern. I didn’t want to shell out for the pattern (sorry, Interweave) so I searched online for other knitter’s ideas. I found this entry in a blog and I used her specs to create my bag.
Her bag was 25″ by 22″ when folded, and after felting it turned out to be 17″ by 13.5″, a loss of about 8″ during felting. I measured my laptop (a 14″ by 10.5″ by 1.5″ Dell) and decided I would want a post-felting size of 17″ by 11.5″ to ensure enough room for the thickness and for some handles. That meant that I would need to have a 25″ by 19.5″, and because I wanted to make my stripes go up and down rather than across, the pre-folded, pre-felted piece would have to be 50″ by 19.5″. That, my friends, is a lot of knit, knit, knit; purl, purl, purl.
You bet your sweet ass I knit a swatch first. I always knit a swatch. Anyone who doesn’t is a fool.
So here’s a picture of the finished piece pinned to my rug:
When I tell you that this thing took forever, I mean it. I had to take breaks to knit a couple of baby hats and to begin a sweater while I worked on this thing. It was mind-numbingly boring. I’m sorry, but it was.
But, this afternoon, all the work suddenly became “worth it” when I felted the bag. It took me two cycles to get it to the right size (I thought it might take three!) And here is a picture of the bag next to my laptop. I stuffed it with newspaper to shape it for the laptop. Now I just have to wait until it dries…